Tuesday 22 May 2012

Evaluation

What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

Throughout this module I have been introduced to a lot of new evaluation techniques and group progress. advice crits. I now understand the importance of researching existing designers and how useful this is when designing my own work, knowing what is currently happening in the design world. The 'Blog, marry, avoid' task introduced me to a lot of designers and blogs that I have continually used for context and inspiration. The tasks that we have done have made me more aware of how people are going to respond to my work, they have made me question specifically who the audience is and how they will respond to the work.

What approaches to/ methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


For the final publication I chose to base mine on Post Modernism, this pushed me to design in a way I haven't done before because I had to adopt and emulate the post modern style which forced me to work outside of my comfort zone. The main influence this module has had on my design process is that it has made me consider the purpose, meaning, desired effect of a product before I jump into designing it which results in a better informed, more successful design.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/ will you capitalise on these?

We have had a lot of sessions that require engaged group work, this has made me work better and contribute more to group feedback situations, which is something I have been poor at in the past. This is due to now knowing what questions will be worth asking and relevant to the progression of a design.
I will continue to think of constructive feedback in progress crits and keep referring back to sessions when Jo has asked us to think of ultimate questions/ why we crit.

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


I need to make more decisions as to 'why' i like a certain piece of design, because at the moment there is a lot that I like the aesthetic appearance but I need to deconstruct the elements that I like so I can apply these reasons to my own work. I also need to use the DIET evaluation system more frequently and more thoroughly as this will help me create more effective and successful design.

Identify 5 things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect from doing these?

Firstly I need to make sure to write more detailed lecture notes as I started to only write parts that I found interesting but this resulted in losing essential context, this will allow me to better understand the topics that are being delivered in lectures. I need to make posters or something that will remind me of evaluation techniques because I end up forgetting them which results in me doing a less thorough evaluation, but if I had what DIET stands for and some key points to 'why we crit' then my evaluations will be more helpful. Reading more of the books that I use for reference will help me gain a better understanding of the topics I am writing about. I will spend more money on the final product as I think that my publication would have looked and worked even better if it was printed professionally. I will keep my red book with me at all times, this will allow me to jot  down an illustrator or designer when they come up in conversation/ get recommended to me in a progress crit, this will allow me to keep a growing resource of designers and stop me from forgetting someone that could prove to be useful.

Attendance: 5
Punctuality: 5
Motivation: 4
Commitment: 5
Quality: 3
Quantity: 4
Contribution: 4


No comments:

Post a Comment